Information for refugee researchers

Planning your stay in a different country always requires a certain amount of preparation. For people forced to leave their home countries, this process becomes even more challenging. The DAAD and many other organisations support refugee researchers through programmes and information. On this page, you can find information specifically relevant for researchers that are planning to or have already had to leave their home country and seek refuge in Germany. The focus of this site is on questions related to your academic career, with some references to other platforms or institutions that offer advice or individual consultation regarding general topics about life in Germany. Additionally, this section will refer to information in other “Plan your stay” sections that is particularly relevant for refugee researchers.


On 23 June 2023, the German Bundestag passed a new immigration law for skilled workers (Fachkräfteeinwanderungsgesetz). The new law will come into effect beginning in November 2023, with new regulations being introduced gradually. We plan to update our website when the law is fully in effect. Until then, please make sure to check individually if information on entry, the EU Blue Card, recognition of qualifications and family reunion is up to date. Some changes also affect refugees who are in an asylum procedure. Please note: the law aims at loosening regulations and will not create more restrictions. An English-language summary of the new regulations can be found on the Make it in Germany website.

Go to website "Make it in Germany"

Funding opportunities

Do you need financial support to pursue your PhD or work as a researcher in Germany? Find a list of programmes and helpful tools to make your search for funding easier.

A man is signing a contract for scholarship or work.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Some regulated professions in Germany require the recognition of professional qualifications. For many others, it is voluntary. There are several excellent online platforms that help you to quickly find out if you need an official recognition or a statement of comparability and can also counsel you in the case of missing documents.
A young woman is sitting with a laptop on a couch and is looking at documents.


You need individual help and someone to talk to? Our link list for counselling services provides you with important contact points for all questions regarding your stay in Germany.

A friendly young attractive African American woman wearing a headset,  working on a laptop and is conducting an online consultation.

Good to know

Researchers who are threatened in their country of origin do not receive a special visa for entering Germany. People who are at risk of persecution may, however, be entitled to asylum and/or refugee status in Germany. The Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung’s FAQ answers more questions regarding the residence status of refugee researchers in Germany. For more general information on visas, entry and residence, see the Plan your stay “Entry and residence” section.

Children who had to flee their home countries are sometimes taught in so-called Willkommensklassen (welcome classes) until they have acquired basic German language skills. To learn more about the German school system, visit the respective segment in the “Family” section of Plan your stay.

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees offers information on accommodation and housing for refugees from Ukraine (several languages to choose from). Our “Living in Germany” section offers general tips on finding a place to live.