Bringing your family

Bringing your family 640x360
Life is best when you are all together, so bring your family with you to Germany.

Germany’s regulations are very family-oriented: your spouse or partner and your children can come with you from the outset or join you and will receive a residence permit.

This is true regardless of whether you come to Germany

And of course this also applies if you are a citizen of the European Union (EU), the  European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. In this case you and your dependents benefit from the EU’s freedom of movement policy: you will not need any residence or work permit.

Your family can also join you even if you are still studying for a doctoral degree. In this case, however, certain requirements have to be met – your spouse or partner will for example need to have a basic command of German.

Further information can be obtained from the German diplomatic missions responsible for visa affairs in your home country, or from the immigration office (Ausländerbehörde) in the town or city in Germany where your family will be living.

Good to know:

  • You can bring your spouse or partner and children with you.
  • Citizens of the EU, the European Economic Area and Switzerland are entitled to move freely within the EU.

More information

Interactive world map with an overview of Germany’s diplomatic missions abroad: > Local contacts

Regulations for family immigration: > Brochure

"Studying and Working in Germany"