It depends on your individual situation which type of counselling is suited best for you. The institutions and platforms listed on this site mainly focus on questions regarding your academic and professional career, but many also include counselling on general topics related to your stay in Germany.

A friendly young attractive African American woman wearing a headset,  working on a laptop and is conducting an online consultation.

In addition to the services listed here, you can always approach the international offices (Akademisches Auslandsamt) at your local university for individual consultation.

Some of the following platforms offer direct counselling, while some are databases which can help you find counselling services in your region.

Personal counselling

The hotline “Leben und Arbeiten in Deutschland” offers advice for skilled workers on a broad range of topics, including the new immigration law (which will take effect starting November 2023), recognition of qualifications, family reunification or entry and residence. The hotline is operated by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) and the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit). Services are mostly available in English and German. 

The DAAD has a worldwide network of offices and information centres that advise students, academics and researchers on their stay in Germany. You can find the one nearest to you on an interactive map or the accompanying list.

Most universities offer personal counselling for international researchers, sometimes also specifically for refugees. Please contact the university or research institution where you will or would like to work.

Some universities also operate so-called Refugee Law Clinics – usually as a service provided by law students – that offer free legal advice in the field of immigration law. 

The National Academic Contact Point Ukraine (Nationale Akadamische Kontaktstelle Ukraine) is an initiative of the DAAD in cooperation with the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the Kultusministerkonferenz (Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs), the states’ science ministries and the Alliance of Science Organisations in Germany. While the Contact Point’s website bundles information on residence, life, study and research in Germany, you can also receive direct consultation.

Search tools for finding local counselling services

The Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) offers a search tool to find counselling services (“Migrationsberatung”) at your location in Germany.

Anerkennung in Deutschland (“Recognition in Germany”) is the central information portal for the recognition of foreign professional and vocational qualifications, initiated by the German federal government. The platform also has a search tool for personal counselling in Germany and abroad.

EURAXESS Germany is an information and advice platform for internationally mobile researchers planning a stay in Germany. It is part of a larger EURAXESS network across Europe. There are more than 60 EURAXESS Centres or Contact Points in Germany alone, usually part of universities’ welcome centres. A search tool allows you to filter according to country and counselling expertise. 


mbeon is an app for adult immigrants in Germany that offers a mobile messenger-based advice service on topics from housing and residency to work, health and language skills. The advisers will respond Monday to Friday within 48 hours. mbeon is sponsored, among others, by the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Community.

PRO ASYL is an independent human rights organisation that offers advice by phone or email on asylum law and residence questions.