The Helmholtz Association is the largest German research organisation. It offers several opportunities for young researchers.
The Helmholtz Research Schools and Graduate Schools offer structured doctoral programmes for highly qualified PhD students in partnership with universities. Young researchers gain considerable experience of close research cooperation between work groups.
Who can apply
PhD students with
- an outstanding university degree equivalent to a German Master’s degree
- an academic qualification in an appropriate subject for the respective research institute
- previous research experience
- a relevant PhD research proposal for the respective research group
- a good knowledge of the English language
Type and extent of funding
Work contract (usually part-time); the salary is based on the collective agreement for public sector employees (currently approx. 3,700 euros per month gross for a full-time position). Individual schools can also award scholarships.
Generally 3 years with possible extension of 1 year.
Applications should be submitted to the respective Helmholtz Research School or Graduate School. The individual schools advertise their vacancies or set application deadlines. You will find links to the different schools on the programme website (see link below).