RISE stands for Research Internships in Science and Engineering. RISE Professional offers summer research internships for a period of three months in Germany. The programme is open to students from the USA, Canada, Great Britain or Ireland who are interested in spending a summer gaining serious practical experience in a German company or at a non-university research institution that has strong relations with industry.
Who can apply?
Applicants for a RISE Professional internship must:
- be a student enrolled in a Master's or PhD programme at a North American, British or Irish university (at the time of the internship) in the fields of biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, earth science or engineering (or a closely related field) or
- be an undergraduate RISE Germany alumnus or alumna in a relevant field studying at a North American, British or Irish university (at the time of the internship)
German language requirements depend on the nature of the internship. Some require at least an intermediate level of German language skills while others require none at all. Applicants must provide proof of their enrolment at the time of the internship. Recent graduates are not eligible to apply.
More information concerning requirements, country-specific information, dates and deadlines, application address and advice: www.daad.de > RISE Professional
Type and extent of funding
The DAAD will provide a monthly scholarship of:
- 250 euros for undergraduates
- 350 euros for Master's students
- 700 euros for PhD students.
The host companies will contribute an additional stipend of at least 500 euros net per month.
Each scholarship holder will receive travel expenses depending on the country of origin and a travel reimbursement for the trip to a three-day RISE meeting in Heidelberg. The DAAD will also provide health insurance as well as accident and personal liability insurance.
An internship is possible for a period of up to 3 months (10 weeks minimum) between May and December.
Applications can be submitted completely online through the RISE Professional database. The first step is to register and login to access the internship database. Then fill in the online application form and upload all necessary documents. You can apply until 15 December for internships in the following year.