Doctoral scholarships from the German Academic Scholarship Foundation
Are you planning an unusually demanding and innovative dissertation project? Are you socially engaged? Then apply to the German Academic Scholarship Foundation for a scholarship. The foundation provides scholarship holders with both non-material and financial support. Your nationality is irrelevant so long as you have been accepted for a PhD at a German university where you will also be submitting your dissertation. Funding is not available for doctoral degrees taken as part of a medical degree, but otherwise applications are welcome from doctoral students in all disciplines.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- admittance to a doctoral programme at a German university
- first degree normally completed not more than four years previously
- dissertation project that is unusually academically demanding and innovative
- well above average commitment and performance in first degree
- letter of support from supervisor
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- subsistence grant: 1,350 euros, research expense allowance: 100 euros for 3 years (4 years for parents)
- health insurance subsidy, if applicable
- support for research stays abroad
- family allowance
- PhD programme including summer schools, language courses, graduate conferences and workshops
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
Are you aiming for a PhD or postdoc position? Here you will find information on your research career in Germany.