There are three basic approaches for finding a PhD position or programme. You can:
1. Apply for a structured PhD programme:
For structured PhD programmes see the DAAD International Programmes Database. It contains international PhD programmes that are very similar to the PhD programmes in English-speaking countries where a team of supervisors look after a group of doctoral students. Nearly all of the programmes are taught in English and have no tuition fees.
You can search by inserting keywords (e.g. engineering) and/or by field of study.
2. Search for PhD job offers at German universities:
See the PhDGermany Database for open PhD positions at German universities and Graduate Schools specifically for international applicants.
3. Send a speculative application to a professor or research institute:
- If you intend to apply directly to an institute, you can search for workgroups where research in your field of interest is carried out in the online database 'GERiT';
- The CHE University Ranking also enables you to search for universities by subject or by city;
- The online database 'Higher Education Compass' allows you to search specific research fields and find institutes you can apply to if you wish to earn a PhD.
If you are looking for scholarships, please take a look at here.