Are you a young postdoc wanting to blaze new trails? Do you move between established fields of research? Then apply for a ‘Freigeist’ Fellowship from the Volkswagen Foundation. The fellowship helps outstanding young postdocs in all disciplines and of all nationalities to make the most of their freedom and overcome resistance.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- doctorate completed not more than four years ago
- attachment to a university or non-university research institution in Germany at the start of the fellowship
- academic mobility: applicants should already have changed their academic environment at least once
- international experience
- university or research institution should share the project costs
About ten fellowships are awarded each year (no fixed number).
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- The term of the first funding phase is five or six years.
- Depending on the field of research and the applicant’s career experience, projects with total costs of up to 1.8 million euros can be applied for.
- A second funding phase of up to three years is also possible.
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted from now until 1 April 2021.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
www.volkswagenstiftung.de > 'Freigeist' Fellowships