Be it a visionary project or frontier research – the ERC supports teams of excellent researchers with its Synergy Grants worth up to 10 million euros. Groups applying for an ERC Synergy Grant must be made up of a minimum of two and a maximum of four Principal Investigators (PI) and their teams. The grant targets excellent emerging scientists at the start of their career as well as established researchers with outstanding scientific track records.
ERC Synergy Grants are intended to bring together complementary skills, knowledge and resources in new ways, in order to jointly address research problems which could lead to breakthroughs that would not be possible by the individual PI working alone. It is expected that in most cases ERC Synergy groups will be interdisciplinary, often using multidisciplinary approaches, and ensure regular face-to-face contact over the course of the project. Applications to the ERC are not restricted in subject and can be submitted by researchers in all disciplines.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- 2‒4 young and emerging researchers with first independent research results, as well as established scientists with outstanding scientific performance
- Each Principal Investigator has to provide a CV and an “early achievement record” or a “10-year track record” depending on the PI’s career stage. Furthermore, it is required to provide an extended synopsis of the proposal and a scientific proposal.
- Each PI is equally responsible for the group’s project; one PI acts as “Corresponding Principal Investigator”(cPI) which means that he/she is the administrational contact for the ERC.
- PIs have to apply with a host institution in an EU member state or and Associated Country; one PI can be hosted by an institution outside the EU or an Associated Country
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- a maximum of 10 million euros for a period of six years
- in exceptional cases, up to 4 million euros in additional funding on a one-off basis
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted until 10 November 2021.