Water management, bioenergy, artificial intelligence: a sustainable society can be reached in many ways. For the past 12 years, the BMBF has been awarding young international researchers during the “Green Talents – International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development” competition to foster interdisciplinary work on environmental topics.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Enrolment in a master’s or PhD programme or a degree (master’s/PhD) completed no more than three years before the end of the application process
- Strong focus on sustainable development and an interdisciplinary approach in any field of sustainability research
- No more than three years of professional work experience (this excludes professional work experiences gained within the scope of an academic degree)
- Proven excellent command of English
- Not a German citizen nor a resident of Germany
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- Invitation to a 7-day Virtual Science Forum in October 2021:
- “Science Sessions” with leading German sustainability facilities, institutions and companies, which will virtually provide exclusive insights into their leading-edge research and projects
- Virtual appointments with German experts of your choice to discuss possibilities for upcoming joint research and cooperation efforts
- A wide range of workshops dedicated to the SDGs and advancing your scientific career
- Networking opportunities with other Green Talents, participating Green Talents alumni and researchers
- Formal Virtual Award Ceremony with your fellow Green Talents and special guests
- A fully funded on-site research stay of up to three months at an institution of your choice in Germany in 2022
- Exclusive access to the distinguished Green Talents alumni network
When is the closing date for applications?
The next application period will be from 7 April until 19 May 2021.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: