Anyone conducting research aimed at solving environmental or conservation-related problems and planning to embark on a PhD can apply for a PhD scholarship from the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU). Each year, the DBU awards up to 60 such scholarships to young researchers in all disciplines whose projects are relevant to the environmental situation in Germany.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- the PhD must be concerned with innovative and sustainable solutions to topical environmental issues
- above-average university degree (already obtained or expected)
- all disciplines are permitted
- the PhD will be acquired at a German university and has not yet begun
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- the basic stipend is 1,500 euros per month
- subsidies towards material costs of 210 euros per month
- funding is provided for a maximum period of 36 months
- scholarship holders receive personal supervision and support from DBU experts
When is the closing date for applications?
The next closing date for applications is 15 June 2020.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
Corona crisis related restrictions may apply. Please check with the individual funding organisation before taking action.