Dreaming of a university teaching career? Planning to continue your academic career in Germany even after your funding comes to an end? Through its Emmy Noether Programme, the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) helps outstanding young researchers in all subject areas qualify as professors – without the need for the usual postdoctoral thesis qualification (“Habilitation” in Germany): stipend-holders head their own research group and assume teaching duties.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- rapidly completed academic training including doctoral degree
- two to four years postdoc experience
- international research experience
- outstanding publications in high-ranking international journals
- an excellent research project
What form does funding take?
Support is normally provided for six years and includes all funding necessary for the young research group and its research project. This includes in particular:
- the project leader post
- project-specific funding to cover project costs and staff, as well as investments for the research project
- in the case of clinicians who are tied up in the research project: funding for staff to take over their regular duties
In addition, funding is available to support exchange with other researchers in Germany and abroad, project-specific workshops and presentation of research results to the general public.
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: