It is granted in recognition of first-class academic achievement by talented international researchers who are interested in pursuing an academic career in Germany.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- PhD with outstanding results, completed no more than six years previously
- international researchers from all countries and disciplines can apply
- excellent academic track record demonstrated by an extensive list of independent publications
- support of a host institution in Germany
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- up to six Sofja Kovalevskaja Awards are available
- prize money of up to 1.65 million euros as venture capital for innovative projects
- establishment of an independent young research group at a research institution in Germany for a period of five years
- work and research without administrative constraints
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted until 31 July 2019.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: