Through its Walter Benjamin Programme, the DFG gives postdoctoral researchers the opportunity to launch their scientific careers by embarking on their own research project at a location of their choice. The programme thus promotes particularly qualified researchers in all disciplines who are in the early stages of their postdoc career and wish to develop their own research profile.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- completed PhD
- applicants should be in the qualification phase following their PhD
What form does funding take?
The main fellowship benefits are as follows:
- abroad: fellowship comprising a monthly basic allowance plus a foreign allowance, cost of living allowance, travel expenses and benefits for parents
- in Germany: a position in the category “postdoctoral researcher or comparable”
- allowance for direct project costs (250 Euros per month) and increased publication costs for all fellowship holders. Additional funds necessary to carry out the project must be provided by the host institution or host researcher.
- duration: as a rule, two years
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: https://www.dfg.de/en/research_funding/programmes/individual/walter_benjamin/index.html