"This article was published in our April 2019 newsletter". Sign up here.
Would you like to explore the environmental situation in Germany or global environmental issues relevant to Germany during your PhD? Then apply for a PhD scholarship from the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU), one of the largest foundations in Europe. The programme is targeted at highly-qualified young researchers who have not yet begun their PhD.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- the PhD is expected to result in suggestions for sustainable solutions to current environmental problems
- all disciplines are permitted
- a good command of German
- the PhD must show clear relevance to the environmental situation in Germany and must be carried out predominantly in Germany
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- basic monthly stipend of 1,500 euros plus 210 euros to cover material costs; a child allowance and other forms of support are possible
- duration of funding: a maximum of 3 years
- personal support and supervision
- presentation of results, interdisciplinary exchange and excursions during DBU scholarship seminars
- support with organising colloquiums
- invitations to DBU summer academy and events
When is the closing date for applications?
The next closing date for applications is 15 June 2019.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: