This article was published in our November 2018 newsletter. Sign up here.
The foundation is affiliated with the Social Democratic Party of Germany and adheres to the basic principles of social democracy. The PhD funding for international researchers additionally offers expert contact persons, networking in university groups and a comprehensive seminar programme.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- researchers in all disciplines apart from medicine are eligible to apply
- enrolment on a PhD programme at a German university
- very good academic track record (at school and university)
- voluntary sociopolitical engagement
- identification with the values of social democracy
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- monthly stipend of 1,200 euros
- expert contact persons, access to university and working groups
- comprehensive seminar programme
- funding duration: two, or at most three years
- in exceptional justified cases, funding may also be granted for longer than three years, until the final examination is taken at the latest
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
www.fes.de > Promotionsförderung für Ausländer_innen (only in German)