"This article was published in our May 2018 newsletter". Sign up here.
Then the scholarship programme of the Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) is the right choice for you. In addition to funding, the programme will also provide you with non-material support and put you in touch with lecturers and more than 13,000 alumni. Selection conferences will take place in Belarus, Chile, Russia and Ukraine in 2018. If you are already permanently resident in Germany, you can also apply directly from here. The KAS is closely affiliated with the CDU political party (Christian Democratic Union of Germany).
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- applicants should not be older than 30 and should not yet have completed a PhD
- above-average academic track record
- broad general education and a keen interest in political affairs
- positive basic attitude towards democracy and human rights
- involvement in voluntary activities to help other people
- willingness to participate in non-material support, i.e. taking part in seminar programme events and meetings of university groups of scholarship holders
- for applications outside Germany: at least A2 level proficiency in German according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- for applications in Germany: German proficiency at B2 level
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- the amount and duration of financial support depend on the study goal
- doctoral students receive a monthly scholarship of 1,100 euros; the scholarship is usually granted for a period of three years
- allowances and subsidies towards health and nursing care insurance, family allowance, child allowance, tuition fees and international research travel of PhD candidates
- non-material support: personal supervision from experts in international student support and supervisory tutors at the universities, an accompanying seminar programme and university groups organised by the scholarship holders themselves
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications in Germany are invited from 1 June until 15 July 2018. Selection conferences abroad will take place in Belarus, Chile, Russia and Ukraine in 2018. The dates can be found on the local websites of the KAS offices and are independently set.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here:
www.kas.de > Begabtenförderung (only in German)