Through these grants, the European Research Council of the European Union supports promising researchers of any nationality and from any discipline who are in the early stages of an independent academic career.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- PhD completed no fewer than seven and no more than twelve years ago
- a promising academic track record, as demonstrated for example by several important publications not involving the applicant's doctoral supervisor
- a ground-breaking research idea
- the application is submitted in conjunction with an institution based in an EU member state or associated country
What form does funding take?
The main benefits are as follows:
- funding of up to two million euros is normally granted for a period of five years
- additional funding of up to 750,000 euros may be granted, for example to allow large-scale equipment to be purchased
- already successful ERC grantees wishing to verify the commercial potential of a research outcome from their project can also apply for an additional "Proof of Concept" grant. Applications for this grant are invited three times a year. The deadlines in 2019 are: 22 January, 25 April and 19 September. For further information, visit: www.eubuero.de > ERC Proof of Concept
When is the closing date for applications?
Applications can be submitted until 7 February 2019.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: