Are you a young postdoc moving between established fields of research? Do you wish to pursue high-risk research? Then apply for a Freigeist Fellowship from the Volkswagen Foundation. The fellowship helps outstanding young postdocs in all disciplines and of all nationalities to blaze new trails, make the most of their freedom and overcome resistance.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Doctorate completed not longer than five years ago
- Research at a university or non-university research institution in Germany
- Attachment to a university or non-university research institution in Germany at the start of the fellowship
- Academic mobility: applicants should already have changed their academic environment or research location
- Research period abroad already completed or planned
- University or research institution should share the project costs
Ten to fifteen fellowships are awarded each year.
What form does funding take?
The term of the first funding phase is five years. Depending on the field of research and the applicant’s career experience, projects with total costs of up to one million euros can be applied for. If the total sum is not used up by the initial application, further funding can be applied for during the course of the project. A second funding phase is also possible.
When is the closing date for applications?
The next closing date for applications is 13 October 2016. The following closing date will be 12 October 2017.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: