This article was published in our newsletter. Sign up here.
Are you a doctoral student conducting outstanding research and engaging with trade union or social policy themes? Then apply for a scholarship from the Hans Böckler Foundation. The sponsorship department of the German Trade Union Federation (DGB) (only in German) provides funding for PhDs in all disciplines – also within the framework of postgraduate schools, young researcher groups or graduate centres.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- Applicants must not be older than 40.
- A requirement for funding is that studies are pursued quickly and efficiently.
- Applicants should have particularly good academic qualifications.
- Active engagement with trade union or social policy themes is expected.
- Applicants must be enrolled on a PhD programme at a state or state-recognized university.
- The PhD project should have social policy relevance and expect to make an important contribution to research.
What form does funding take?
As a rule, funding is provided for two years. In justified cases, funding can be extended up to a maximum period of three years. Scholarship holders receive 1,050 euros per month. In addition, the Hans Böckler Foundation provides a monthly lump sum payment of 100 euros to cover the costs of research, and funds research periods, conferences and language courses abroad. Events and seminars offer scholarship holders the chance to acquire additional qualifications.
When is the closing date for applications?
The next closing date for applications is 30 June 2016.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application for Hans Böckler Foundation scholarships can be found on the foundation’s website:
www.boeckler.de (only in German)