DAAD Research Grants – Bi-nationally Supervised Doctoral Degrees

This article was published in our newsletter. Sign up here.

Logo of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

Are you currently pursuing a doctoral degree at a university that is not in Germany? Would you like to spend a period of time carrying out research in Germany during your doctoral degree? The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) awards research grants to make this possible. The “DAAD Research Grants – Bi-nationally Supervised Doctoral Degree” programme promotes doctoral degrees at the home university with integrated research phases in Germany. The doctoral degrees are supervised both by a university teacher at the home university and an academic adviser at the host institute in Germany (“sandwich model”).

Who can apply?

Requirements for applicants include the following:

  • You should be a doctoral candidate, graduate or young researcher with a very good academic record.
  • You must have obtained a master’s degree or Diplom, or in exceptional cases a bachelor’s degree, at the latest by the time you begin your grant-supported research.
  • You should not have taken your final degree exam more than six years prior to the date of application.
  • Doctoral candidates should not have begun their doctoral degree more than three years prior to the date of application.

What form does funding take?

Doctoral candidates receive a monthly grant of 1,000 euros during their stay in Germany, a travel allowance, a one-off research allowance and payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover. Under certain circumstances, additional benefits may be granted, such as:

  • monthly rent subsidies
  • a monthly allowance for accompanying family members

When is the closing date for applications?

The closing date for applications depends on your country of origin. Information can be found on the website of the DAAD.

Terms and conditions of application

The terms and conditions of application can be found here: 
www.daad.de > Research Grants – Bi-nationally Supervised Doctoral Degrees