This article was published in our newsletter. Sign up here.
Exceptional researchers sometimes swim against the current. It is not always easy to convince key contact persons and decision-makers, especially when planning high-risk projects. The Volkswagen Foundation’s Freigeist Fellowship helps outstanding young postdocs to blaze new trails, make the most of their freedom and overcome resistance.
Who can apply?
- Young researchers in all disciplines
- Applicants should already have completed a doctorate, but not longer than five years ago
- They should be conducting research at a university or non-university research institution in Germany
- Academic mobility is desirable: applicants should already have changed their academic environment or research location
- Applicants should already have completed or should be planning a research period abroad
- The university or research institution should share the project costs
What form does funding take?
- Depending on the field of research and the applicant’s career experience, projects of up to one million euros can be applied for
- A second funding phase is possible
- The term of the first funding phase is five years
- 10 to 15 fellowships are approved each year
The next closing date for applications is 15 October 2015.