Basic research sometimes involves a degree of uncertainty: scientists spend years working on a project without knowing exactly where the research will take them. Nonetheless, basic research is important because it delivers fundamentally new insights. Through its “ERC Advanced Grants”, the European Commission supports exceptional established researchers who are pursuing groundbreaking, high-risk research projects. Projects are provided with up to 2.5 million euros in funding – in certain cases even 3.5 million euros – over a period not longer than five years.
Who can apply?
ERC Advanced Grants are aimed at established researchers:
- of any nationality and any age
- of all fields of research
- who are scientifically independent
- who have done outstanding work in the past ten years
- who wish to pursue their research work in a public or private research organization based in an EU member state or an associated country
The application process is single-stage with a dual-stage evaluation process. Applications can be submitted until 2 June 2015.