Many young researchers dream of securing a decent academic post for themselves. Ideally, one with good long-term prospects, their own research group and reliable funding. Through its Sofja Kovalevskaja Award, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation promotes young academics from abroad who show particular promise. Award-winners receive up to 1.65 million euros over a period of five years to fund any research project they wish to pursue. This allows them to set up their own group at a research institution of their choice in Germany and cover their own living expenses. The award is financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
Who can apply?
- have acquired a PhD (or comparable academic degree) within the past six years
- have an outstanding academic track record
- not previously have held any leadership position in Germany, e.g. junior research group leader
- not yet hold a permanent position in Germany
- have the support of a host institution in Germany
- have the support of three academic referees
Interested? Further information and details of all application requirements can be found on the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation website. Applications can be submitted until 31 July 2015.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation:www.humboldt-foundation.de > Sofja Kovalevskaja Award