This article was published in our newsletter. Sign up here.
Scholars are not always able to concentrate exclusively on their research. Sometimes they have to take a second job in addition to their research work in order to earn a living. The Fritz Thyssen Foundation offers highly-qualified young researchers who already have a doctoral degree the opportunity to apply for a postdoc stipend to cover their living costs.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- The doctoral degree procedure must have been completed with an oral thesis defence (a “Disputation” in Germany) or an oral examination (a “Rigorosum” in Germany).
- The doctoral degree should not have been acquired more than two years previously.
- The planned research project should take up to two years.
- The research work should take place at a higher education institute or non-profit research facility.
- The application may not be submitted nor have been submitted to any other funding organization.
Successful applicants receive a basic monthly stipend of 1,700 euros. In some cases the Foundation also reimburses material and travel costs and provides partial stipends and child allowances.
Applications can be submitted at any time.
Interested in a Fritz Thyssen Foundation stipend? More information can be found on the Foundation’s website: