Water management, bioenergy, artificial intelligence: a sustainable society can be reached in many ways. For the past 10 years, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) has been giving awards to young international researchers during the competition "Green Talents – International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development". This year's anniversary will be held under the banner "Smart Green Planet – Solutions for a Sustainable Future". It targets all outstanding researchers working in fields related to sustainability.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- enrolment in a master's or PhD programme or a degree (master's/PhD) completed no more than three years before the end of the application process
- no more than three years of professional work experience (this excludes professional work experience gained within the scope of an educational degree)
- strong focus on sustainable development and an interdisciplinary approach in any field of sustainability research
- proven excellent command of English
- non-German citizenship or non-German residence
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- invitation to a two-week science trip through Germany in October 2019
- visits to the hot spots of sustainability science; exclusive access to the German research landscape
- individual meetings with leading German experts
- opportunity to spend up to three months conducting research at a facility of one's own choice in 2020
- membership of the global Green Talents network of more than 230 young researchers from 65 different countries worldwide
- networking opportunities at the Green Talents alumni conference with other sustainability researchers
When is the closing date for applications?
The next application period will be from 8 April until 22 May 2019.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: