"This article was published in our February 2018 newsletter". Sign up here.
The primary goal of the programme “Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists” is to support short-term research stays and thus promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues. Applications are welcome from young academics from numerous countries and disciplines.
Who can apply?
Requirements for applicants include the following:
- the target group includes graduates, doctoral students, postdocs and university teachers who work at a university or research institution in their home country
- applicants should propose a convincing and well-planned research project
- the research project must be agreed with an academic host in Germany, and an academic position must be made available
What form does funding take?
The main scholarship benefits are as follows:
- funding is provided for a period of one to three months, is non-renewable and may only be claimed once within three years
- funding is provided for research stays at state or state-recognised institutions of higher education or non-university research institutes in Germany; a research stay can also take place at several host institutions
- the monthly stipend is 2,000 euros for assistant teachers, assistant professors and lecturers; 2,150 euros for professors
- in addition, a travel allowance is provided unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
When is the closing date for applications?
Closing dates for application depend on the applicant’s country of origin and can be found in the DAAD’s scholarship database.
Terms and conditions of application
The terms and conditions of application can be found here: